Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Juicing my way into 2012.

I'm home, and the new year is here!

One of my resolutions for the new year is to lose the nearly-45 lbs. I've put on in the last 9 months. So I decided to make that a two-part goal, and made another resolution to complete a 5-day juice cleanse.

Today is day one.

I unintentionally fasted until about 4:30 or 5 o'clock this afternoon, because I was completely unprepared. I got off the plane yesterday morning and basically went straight to work. I didn't feel like going grocery shopping after I got off work at 9:30 last night, and I ended up sleeping in a little this morning and then running some other errands before heading to the grocery store.

I spent about $45 and got the following:

  • 3 mangoes
  • 4 (12 oz) bags fresh cranberries
  • 4.65 lbs. organic gala apples
  • 4 cucumbers
  • 3 lemons
  • 2 bunches red leaf lettuce
  • 3.3 lbs. navel oranges
  • 2 bunches organic spinach
  • 6 lbs. carrots
  • 4 grapefruit
  • 3 avocados (for coming off the cleanse) 
  • 1.3 lbs. broccoli crowns
  • 1 bunch turnip greens
  • 3 bunches kale
  • 2 (6 oz.) containers blackberries
  • 2 (6 oz.) containers blueberries
  • 4 bunches celery
My first juice this afternoon was a little sweet. I was actually surprised by how tasty it was! It's something I might make for myself even when I'm not cleansing. The apple juice definitely lightened it up quite a bit. (That's it to the left.) This one made just shy of 8 oz, I believe. 

Juice 1:

- 1 apple
- 1/2 lemon (peeled, without pith!)
- 1 carrot
- 1 kale leaf





This next guy to the right is my second concoction of the day. I was surprised, when I cut out the apple, how much juice I lost. 

Juice 2:

- 1 celery stalk
- 1 carrot
- 2 kale leaves
- 1 lemon wedge (without pith, again)

This one tasted a lot like V8 to me, minus the tomato, obviously. It was pretty tasty as well! I rarely (read: never) crave V8 juice, but as a homemade replacement, I'd take this any day. It made 4 oz. of juice, so I'll need to double the recipe from now on. 

I'm going to make another glass of Juice 2 before I head to bed, to stave off any midnight cravings. One of the things that has surprised me the most is that I am not all that hungry, but my mouth and brain are desperately craving something to chew. I broke down and have been working on the same piece of gum for the last hour and a half. It's sugar-free and curbed the war going on in my brain, so I'm not too upset about it. 

I hope to update daily with my other strange concoctions, and I have several recipes to post from my vacation when this madness is over! 

No comments:

Post a Comment