Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

OMG Quinoa salad.

I'm so sorry for dropping off the face of the earth lately! I posted a little update on what's been keeping me so busy lately over on my personal blog. The short and sweet version: school, boot camp, and credit stuff. The ex is trying to close on a house and has been soliciting my help. I think we wrote and then re-wrote a letter threatening legal action probably six times this week. Ugh.

Anyway. Quinoa.

I have a confession to make. I'm not a big fan of cilantro. I used to have a Russian piano teacher when I was in high school. I was over at her house one day practicing for a competition, and she invited me to stay for dinner. She was making fish stew and asked me if I liked cilantro. I couldn't quite understand her, but knew enough to know that she was asking about some herb she had grown in her garden, so I said yes.

Well I was wrong. Very wrong. She tossed handfuls and handfuls into her fish stew... I don't really like fish either. I wasn't super impressed with the entire experience. So ever since then, I've despised cilantro.

When I was home for Christmas, though, Mom talked all about this delicious quinoa salad she makes, and how she puts handfuls and handfuls of cilantro in it. I was skeptical at best, but then I came back, was gathering all my fruits and veggies for my juice cleanse, and cilantro was $0.50/bunch. I gave it several dirty looks, and then I bought some. This is what resulted.


So. Good.

Quinoa Salad 


1 c. uncooked quinoa
2 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
a handful (or more, if you like it) of cilantro
1/2 white onion, diced
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 can kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
juice of 1/2 lemon
a few liberal shakes of curry powder

Saute the onion and garlic in a little evoo in the bottom of a saucepan. When it looks suitably done, toss in your chicken stock and bring to a boil. Dump in the quinoa, green onion, and cilantro. Cover and reduce heat to low.

Leave it alone (don't peek under the lid!) for 15 minutes. Then toss in the beans, lemon juice, and curry powder. Stir it all together and let it simmer there for another five minutes or so, until the liquid is absorbed.

Enjoy!



Beware! I was late to work because I couldn't put the fork down when I made this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment